Monday, March 2, 2015

draw near

As we draw nearer to God, He draws nearer to us. (James 4:8) I am beginning to understand what that means.  I know we experience His presence and His glory as we worship and pray.  I know we feel Him even more at some times than others.  But what does it mean to draw near?  Psalms 73:28 says it is good for me to draw near to God.  It is putting trust in the Lord, making him our refuge and our friend.  He will the first one we turn to when we need to tell about something good and something bad.  He will be our first love. He will be our first thought in the morning and our first thought lying down in the evening.

Drawing near is getting as close as possible. "Draw" means moving in a particular direction or pull, "near" means close to a point or place not far away.

One of my favorite places to be in near my husband. I love to sit next to him with his arm around me. I love to feel his warmth and even hear his heart beat. I can hear his whisper and he can hear mine. It is intimate. I am learning that it is the same with God.  We can draw so close to God that we can feel His arm around us, feel His warmth and even hear His heart beat.  I can hear him whisper and speak to me intimately when I am that close.  There is no need to search, strain and wonder when you are that close.  I will know immediately I am in His presence and He is near. He is intimate to us.

I think of the old hymn, "Draw me nearer, nearer precious Lord to the cross where thou hast died, Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer precious Lord, to thy precious bleeding side."  To be near our precious Lord, To be near our dearest friend, To be near our God.  Our how wonderful it is to be right there in His presence.

I think time with my Savior is becoming more precious as I become more familiar with Him.  I think time in prayer, time in His word, time in worship is the most precious time of the day.  I find strength, comfort, joy, peace, support, power, grace, energy and more when I am near God.

Draw near and rest in His arms.  He is waiting with arms open wide. He is calling to you: "Come, my child, sit with me, talk with me, lean on me, listen to me.  I already know what you need."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts