Tuesday, June 28, 2016

fire, flight and fight

As I was praying yesterday morning, I began to ask God to help me change and be  more like him. I want so much to be his representative to those around me.  I want God to shine through me. 
I began to think about verses with promises. Promises for strength and for the power of the Holy Spirit operating in our lives.

Jeremiah 20: 9 Then I said, “I will not make mention of Him, Nor speak anymore in His name.” But His word was in my heart like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, And I could not.
Luke 3:16 John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
This was then fulfilled in Acts 2:1-4  When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

There is the use of the word fire.  Fire burns and destroys, but it also purifies and gives light and energy.  God's holy fire comes to purify us and cleanse us (Acts 15:8-9) and it also comes to embolden and empower us to walk in the Spirit. (Acts 1:8).  Fire is an important symbol and need for a powerful walk with God.  Once the disciples received the 'fire' of the Holy Ghost, they boldly began their ministries preaching the gospel, performing miracles, healing the sick, proclaiming Jesus Christ as the Messiah even unto death.  They became powerful in the Spirit of God. If I am afraid and unable to proclaim the power of the Holy Ghost, maybe I am missing something.  God did not send His Spirit to us to leave us in the same place He found us in.  He wants a powerful church full of powerful, spirit-filled believers willing to step out, speak up and stand boldly with confidence  in His Name.  (Hebrews 10:35, 1 John 2:28).

There are also many verses that encourage us with references to being in the shadow of His wings. Wings that protect and cover us and wings that lift us up. 

Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

Psalm 30:1 I will extol You, O Lord, for You have lifted me up, And have not let my foes rejoice over me.
Wings are used to fly.  Birds in flight are beautiful and agile. They can soar, dive, and even rest at times allowing the air current to carry them.  They are free up in the heights of the sky.  We have a freedom in God to soar in His Spirit, move with intention to fulfill His Will and yes, even find rest allowing His current to carry us for a time.  We can fly when we lean on God for strength, protection and guidance.

There also many verses that call us to fight. We are to put on the armor of God.

Ephesians 6:10-13  Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Jesus was tempted in Matthew chapter 4 and when he addressed Satan's temptation, he used the word, "It is written...." The Word was his weapon.  Ephesians 6:17 says the Word is a sword.
We have a strong weapon when we use His Word.

We have an enemy who is seeking to destroy us. (1 Peter 5:8)  We must be strong and ready to face the enemy.  We need to be prepared and face the battle head on.  My husband has said many times, they armor is all defensive on the front of the body. The back of the body is not meant to be exposed to the enemy because that means you are running away and not fighting.  We need to be strong in the Lord to face the adversary and fight.  We fight in prayer, on our knees with faith and power in the name of Jesus Christ. (Acts 4:20, Philippians 2:10).  

So I think I will pray that God  help me be a fire, help be fly and help me fight!  We need power and strength and that comes through His Word. His word is like fire, it causes us to take flight and makes us strong to fight. That only comes by knowing and applying the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts