Sunday, April 8, 2018

the image of God

Today, I was suddenly reminded of an old song I remember from childhood. The choir at church would sing it and I remember it would always sound beautiful. The high soprano voice would lead with the harmonies filling in rich tones.  The message of that old song suddenly sprung up and echoed deep in my mond and soul.  It was part of a medley of older hymns and songs I believe and I can only recall the chorus:

Oh! To be like Thee, oh! to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

We should always desire to be like Jesus. He was the ultimate example of love. He is the one who paid the price for our redemption. We should reflect His image to those around us. 

Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
Ephesians 5:1‭-‬2 NKJV


Our actions should reveal the One who saved us and is changing us.  It is not enough to just declare our faith, it must permeate us, change us, and be revealed throughout our daily lives. Others should be able to see Christ in us.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 NKJV

We are to be transformed with renewed minds. Our very desires and thoughts should be changed. New thoughts and desires will change our actions and our conversation. We will be different in how we speak and act. We will be new.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he  is  a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
II Corinthians 5:17 NKJV

My husband and I were discussing how some say they are Christians but the words they use, the conversations they have, and the deeds of their lives have no reflection of Christ. They are not showing a difference from those who are not Christians. We discussed how we, as Christians,  need to allow God to change us and transform our lives so that our witness is of Him and His power to change lives.  It doesn't happen overnight all the time, but when we call on Means to cleanse us and make us into His image, we will talk differently, walk differently, and live differently. We will use words that reflect Christ, do things that reflect Christ  and live a life of victory in Jesus Christ.  It will be part of our testimony of what Jesus does for each of us.  I don't want my testimony to be destroyed by words or actions that are not reflecting Christ.  I want His image to be deep in my heart changing my very desires, thoughts and revealing Himself through my words and deeds. I know God was reminding me that is His greatest desire for me as well. He wants to have free access to my heart and life to bring about the best He can for me, in me and through me.  I do not want to get in the way of His good will and His plans.  He has the best in store for my life. Whatever is deep in my heart is what will be coming forth from me and out of my mouth. It will be shown in my words and deeds.

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Luke 6:45 NKJV

 I just want to be like Him, I want Him  to fill me with His Spirit so that there is no room for my agenda, for my ways and my ideas. I only want His way to be done in me. My prayer is for God to stamp His image deep on my heart.  Make me like You, Lord.




1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about that song last night and tried to find it, along with a couple of other old songs, but could not find it. Those songs hold such great truth.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts