Friday, June 22, 2018

finish strong

This past week, I attended the funeral of a great man of God. He was someone that I, along with many other people, have admired and looked up to for many years. He leaves a legacy of service to God, faithfulness,  and grace extended those who were suffering. He knew God and worked to give that same knowledge to those he met.  He was a prince among men when it came to his walk with God.  I do not say that lightly. Pastor Elzie Quinn was a true man of God.
I have attended many funerals at this point in my life, and I know that many of them have finished this life trusting in Jesus even in the face of death and illnesses that claimed their physical lives.  They left a testimony and a legacy of what it means to truly live for Jesus.  My grandparents, saints of God I have known, and even my own mother left this world on spiritual high notes. God revealed His love and faithfulness even in the midst of our sorrow and loss  God shows his people his hope and love as He receives the souls of the saints that are passing from this life to eternity.  We may sorrow in losing them here, but we are left also with joy and hope for eternity.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
Psalms 116:15 KJV

This week, I have thought a lot about him and others I have known.  I have also thought about the lives described in the Bible of the disciples. One thing that has stood out to me is that spiritually, they have all finished strong. The agent of death may have taken the body, but their spirit was strong with Jesus.  They left a mark on those around them and the world is a better place because they had lived for Jesus. 

My son and I watched the movie about Paul the Apostle this week. It was mostly about the end of his life and time in prison.  Much of the letters he wrote were during time he spent in prison. These letters are now part of our Bible.  Many of these scriptures fill us today with hope and understanding about how to live a life for Jesus.  At one point, in the movie, Paul said, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."  My son said, "I know that scripture, Philippians 1:21!" He has been studying Philippians for Bible quizzing at youth camp.  How exciting to know these scriptures are being planted into his heart and mind. This movie led to us discussing persecution and how Jesus is still with us through terrible moments. I told him that these scriptures planted in his heart will give him power and strength to go through the hard things.  I began to cry to think that my son and daughter may one day face hard times as Christians.  We may not have a lot of persecution here in America, but it is happening around the world.  I watched in the movie as several of the Christans were killed for Christ's sake.  They were portrayed well. They turned to God in prayer and in faith knowing that the present sufferings were but for a moment and could not compare to the glory they would have eternally. They finished strong.

How many of us are prepared to finish strong? Whether we face trials of physical ailments that cripple and maim, spiritual battles, or any attack that is meant to destroy us, we need to finish strong. Persecution is scary and we may face more of it here in America as time goes on.  But those around the world today are facing great persecution holding on to the truth that God is with them and He is faithful to us. They give us hope that we too can finish strong.

Paul wrote these words to Timothy:

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.  For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:  Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:5‭-‬8 KJV

Paul understood and believed that his reward was waiting.  I know many saints that have already passed on, that have also known this reward was waiting.  They fought a good fight and finished the course strong.

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 12:1 KJV

I want to finish strong. I want my children and all those I know to finish strong. I want to demonstrate in life and even in death, that Jesus is Lord. I want to reflect the love of God and leave hope for all those I meet.  I want to always be ready with a word of faith and encouragement, a word of prayer and hope for life with God . I want my life and death to show that God has had a plan all along and when we follow after Him, eternity is joyful. The means of our death and passing matter little in comparison to the reward of eternity with our Savior. May the truth of our loving God be evident in life and in death.

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Romans 8:18 KJV

I want to run this race with faith and end it in faith. And as those who have already run the race and shown us the way, I want hear those words as I enter the realms of eternity.

His Lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.
Matthew 25:23 KJV

May we all finish strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts