Saturday, December 13, 2014

have you heard the falling snow?

Here it is. The busy rush of the holidays. We get so busy trying to rush here and there, buy this and that, decorate the tree, and hurry to the next event. All this busyness on top of our daily lives.
We have become a busy society, trying to stay afloat.
We have made many appointments. We have many activities. We have many things to do.
We have conveniences that are supposed to save us time, but never seem to have enough time.
Does this sound familiar?

I was reading my devotional this morning and it was speaking about a Christmas carol "Still, Still, Still." I have no recollection of hearing this carol but the first line says, "Still, still, still, One can hear the falling snow."  Have you ever heard the falling snow?   I can't say that I have ever taken time to just listen for the sound of falling snow.  I think next time it snows, I may go stand on my porch and listen for the falling snow.

The verse used in the devotional was Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. God is asking us to be still. Just be still and know Him. He is asking for us to take time to be with him, talk to him and really just listen to him.

About a year ago, I was at a conference and had a brief conversation with a dear  man of God, Bro. Larry Young. He has been a great worker in the mission field and I admire his dedication.  He said to me, that one thing he has learned over the years is to be still and just listen to God.  He said the greatest thing you could ever do, is just listen to God and what he is saying.  Bro. Young said he has learned more, understood more and has been able to obey God in greater ways because he learned to listen. 
This advice has not left me.  It has stirred my soul.  When I begin to get busy, and my time with God, begins to suffer, it shows in my attitude and my daily life.  I will remember that I am forgetting to be still.  I go and find that place to be still and just listen to God. 

When I am still, I have realized how great a God I serve.  He calms my spirit, He calms my storm.
He speaks to me.  Sometimes, only to say he loves me. But what a great thing to hear.  
I begin to realize how much I have missed hearing His voice.   When we take time often to hear Him, it gets so much easier to recognize His voice.  John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  How truly simple God made it, Just hear his voice and follow. We are the ones who complicate the matter.  

I think about the prophet, Elijah in 1 Kings 19.  He was hiding from Ahab and Jezebel, feeling sorry for himself. God began to ask him what he was doing here.  He went and stood on the mountains.  There was a mighty wind, but that was not the voice of God. He experienced a mighty earthquake, but that was not the voice of God. There was a fire, again, not the voice of God.  But after the fire, a still, small voice. The voice of God came to him as a still, small voice.  You have to be quiet to hear the still, small voice. 

I think I need to make sure to keep the most important appointment of the day: the time of stillness. That moment of time, when all is quiet, so I can just listen.  I will know He is God.  He will be exalted. He will speak. He will lead me in His paths of righteousness.  
I know it may seem impossible sometimes to find still and quiet, especially as a busy mom.  But I have found those moments early in the morning before any one else is up, or after they go to bed.  I have found, if they are busy, I can get myself to another place to just listen to God.   I do my best to make time.  Make time for God, not just to hurry through reading the Bible, and asking for all those needs that need prayer. That is important too. It's time to follow the best advice I have every been given.  Take time to be still and listen.

Have you taken time to just listen every day for the voice of God?  

Oh, and next time it snows,  guaranteed, I will be out on my porch listening for a few moments to the sound of falling snow. 




1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts