Wednesday, December 17, 2014

i am expecting!! great things from God


Today, at work, the students were often talking about Christmas.  They are so excited about the parties on Friday, the presents they hope to receive, and being out of school!  They are expecting great things.
It reminds me that we are to be expecting great things from God. Hebrews 11:1 says Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  We haven’t seen or received all God has for us yet.  We should be in that state of excitement and expectation for what God still has coming.  Romans 8:25 says But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. Many times we have hope for a moment and then give up before we actually receive it.  I saw a cartoon one time of a miner digging and digging, but at some point he gave up.  The thing he didn’t know was he gave up too soon, the great treasure was just a few more inches into the mine.  His hope did not persevere into the reward.

Even Herod hoped to see miracles and was excited to see Jesus.  Luke 23:8 Now when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceedingly glad; for he had desired for a long time to see Him, because he had heard many things about Him, and he hoped to see some miracle done by Him.  How excited he must have been to finally see this man of miracles. He had heard the stories about Jesus and what he could do.  He wanted to see him and maybe see a miracle.
So expectations are like being pregnant.  My cousin is due to have a baby on Friday. I can guarantee that they are expecting with great excitement. Friday can’t get here fast enough for the birth of this baby. This is the Christmas season where we celebrate the greatest pregnancy and birth of all.  The birth of Jesus changed the world. He is the one born to save the world.  He lived, died and rose again to give us hope. Expectations need to build for the coming hope of salvation, for relationship with Jesus, for miracles, for answers of prayer, for guidance, for what He can do through me.
1 John 5:14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. I can have confidence that God hears my prayers and I can ask. 
I also can expect great things because he promised those that believe that signs would follow them  in Mark 16:17-18  And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”  I should be expecting to heal and see these signs.   In John 14:12 he also promised we would do greater works than had already been done. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. Have I really believed enough in these promises?  I want to pray as the man did in mark 9:24, Lord, help my unbelief.  I hear about wondrous things happening around the world. I have even seen some miracles with my own eyes.  I want to be expecting of these things, these wondrous works of God, to be happening more often. I want to be used by God in these moments.   I want to act when he says act, I want to pray when he says pray, I want to heal when he says heal. I want to speak when he says speak.  I want to know His will when he is ready for me to move and act and breathe and speak.  Wow, what great things can happen, when we believe and get in His will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts