Sunday, December 7, 2014

why study the Word?

2 Timothy 2:15 says: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, man that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

We know from this verse that the Apostle Paul instructed Timothy to study the word of God.  He wanted him to rightly divide the truth.  Simple right?

I want to rightly divide or understand the truth in God's word, but there is more to study of the Word.
David wrote "Your word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against you." Psalms 119:11.
His word will lead us away from sin. It can become our guide and our passion. If it is in our heart, that is what comes out of us.
Jesus said : "those things that come out of the mouth come forth from the heart" in Matthew  15:18. What comes out of my mouth comes directly from my heart! What does that reveal about my heart?  I want my heart to be shown as a heart for God. I need to fill it with His Word to do so.
When a heart is filled with God's word, love can be perfected in us because we are a keeper of the word. 1 John 2:5.
It is also important to realize that the word is God. John1:1 When we read the word, we are experiencing God. He can speak to us, teach us, guide us, and be with us. We get to know him, understand him, and develop a deeper relationship with the best friend we could ever have. We will recognize His voice much easier, we will know His will. We will be able to respond with confidence knowing we recognize His voice. I could go on with all the benefits of studying God's Word.
My most important reason is that I get to spend time with my God everytime I open my Bible and begin to read. I experience God. He pours into my soul and I am changed. His love is demonstrated to me and I am spending time falling more in love with my wonderful Savior. I love Him because He first loved me. 1 John 4:19. Because of this love, I just want to spend more time with him.  Just like falling in in love with my husband, I could never spend enough time with him. It's the same with God. I just want to be with Him as much as I can.
May I challenge others to consider falling deeper in love with the Savior. Dive into His word daily to discover Him and His purpose for us. Daily communication is an essential part of any good, growing relationship. Pray on this. Make a plan to begin a daily practice of reading God's Word.  There are many tools available to help keep track of reading and suggestions for ways to read the Bible.  Take advantage of some of these tools. It will become a part of the day that becomes exciting, restful, rejuvenating,  and most important. Will you join me in the Word this upcoming year? Let's get to know our Savior intimately.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts