Saturday, March 21, 2015

accessing the great treasure

I have some things I treasure. Don't you?  I have some items that have been given to me, that I treasure. I have some people I treasure. I treasure memories and remembering things. I treasure old photos.
One of my little treasures is a candy dish that had belonged to my grandmother. When my grandmother went into nursing care, my mom went to help go through her stuff.  She brought me back this candy dish.  I remember this candy dish sitting in my grandmother's home.  I always thought it was beautiful.  I was so honored to get this candy dish.  It may not be worth a lot, but it holds memories and is a treasure to me. I get to use this candy dish right here in my home.  I have access to it and whatever it holds.

Speaking of treasure reminded me of this verse. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21 We have a greater treasure than just things we can collect and remember. We have salvation.  We have the word of God, We have Jesus.  I recently watched a video of some christians in a small village on the other side of the world. This small village was gathered eagerly awaiting a plane landing on their island.  They had prepared a great celebration, the honored pastor and leaders were arranged with great ceremony.  For arriving on this plane, was the Holy Bible in their own language for the first time.  A whole new testament in their own language was a treasure.  The bible was greeted with great celebration, shouts of joy and honor.  The whole village wept, rejoiced and praised God for this great treasure that had arrived. Copies were handed out to the elderly grandmothers and grandfathers. These would then be shared, read and passed down through those families as their most precious treasure.   I have seen other pictures and videos of people from around the world receiving a bible and it would be treasured, wept over and rejoiced over in much the same manner.

I am sitting here with at least two bibles here in my living room, a bible app open on my phone and access to Biblegateway.com on my computer as I type.  I have great treasures sitting ready for access. It is not enough just to have these. It was given for us to access. Jesus said, Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  (Matthew 6:19-21)  He also spoke a parable about a pearl of great price in Matthew 13. Jesus compared the kingdom of heaven to a treasure hidden in a field and to fine pearls. When a merchant found one pearl of great value, he sold everything he had to go purchase this one fine pearl.
I do believe we have the pearl of great price. We have the word of God. We have access to the Father. We have Jesus.  Have we recognized this as a treasure?
Have I been willing to sell all I have to purchase the greatest treasure of all?
Would I give up all I have and know, if it means I have Jesus as my savior and friend?
Do I treasure the word of God as my greatest treasure?
Would I celebrate over His Word or do I treat it as another book on the shelf?
Do I realize what a great privilege I have with the word of God at easy access in my life, anytime, any moment?
Please Lord, help me to treasure your word. Help me access this great treasure and value it. Let me read it, learn it, live it. Let it permeate how I live and how I think. Let your word take over my life and live in me. Let your word change me and make me who you intend me to be. Be my greatest treasure to share with those around me.
 Let your word be found in my heart. Let my heart be found in my greatest treasure:You Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. So grateful you are enjoying having such a great treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts