Saturday, March 14, 2015

thou shalt write it upon the posts and gates

While flipping through Facebook this week, I came across this statement on the "Ready To Die for Christ" page:
Doubt and unbelief come from considering things other than the Word. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Rom 10:17).

Immediately, it caught my attention and I have thought about that statement. I am thinking about a few months ago in Sunday School class.  I was beginning a lesson about Joshua.  As I started to talk about Joshua, my sweet son raised his hand and said, "I know a verse from Joshua.  As me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15." In amazement, I asked how he knew that. He explained, that it is on the wall in our living room.  I realized quickly, that he was right.  I have that verse on the wall in the pretty vinyl letters.  I realized that the Word set before my son was indeed getting into his heart and mind.  He had that verse memorized because he sees it everyday on our wall.

In Deuteronomy chapter 6 it says:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

There is a reason God instructed the Israelites to post His word on the posts and gates. There is a reason he wanted the word to in front of their eyes. There is a reason He wanted the word be ever present before them. If they had done so, many of the struggles may not have happened. It was to teach them, guide them and protect them. It was for relationship building.

What we see is what gets into our heart and our mind.

I remember that little song, O be careful little eyes what you see, O be careful little eyes what you see. For the Father up above is looking down in love, O be careful little eyes what you see.

What we take in, gets planted in our hearts and minds.  I have told my children to be careful and aware of the things they take into their hearts and minds for that is the thing that will be planted and come forth from them.
Jesus warned in Mark 7:20 He went on: “What comes out of a person& is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

I don't want all that in my heart or coming out of me.
I want the word of life to come forth out of me.

In Philippians 4:8  it says Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

If you want peace, think on the good, the lovely, the pure, the praiseworthy.  I want to think on the things of God. I want relationship, guidance amd protection.The only way to know the things of God, is to see it, read it, hear it, study it.

I want the word of God to saturate me, flow through me, fill my thoughts, fill my heart and fill my life.  I not only want that for me, I want that for my children. I want that for you reading this.
I am amazed at what happens when I really allow the Word of God into my life.  My husband was sharing with me that he had a discussion with a coworker about reading the Bible. She said she needed to read her bible more but struggled to understand it.  He told her the key was to pray first for God to help her understand.  She was surprised by that.  But how true it is.  When I pray over my reading and study of the word, It blesses me and comes to life for me. It  reaches my soul and becomes important to my everyday life.  I seek for it and crave for more. It speaks life to my soul.

There is nothing more important than knowing what God promised in His word. We can stand on those promises. We can begin to understand the nature of God. We can understand His will for relationship with people. We can recognize our sin and need for salvation. We can be lead into relationship, purpose and fulfillment.  We find joy, peace, and truth in the word. We find life.

There are some that seek understanding by reading lots of other kinds of books. I do enjoy reading books that bring encouragement and great stories. I do enjoy reading.  I don't, however, think we can really get to know God without ever reading the Word of God intently, earnestly and daily. There is no replacement.

There are some who find fault in the Word of God, they do not believe it is relevant or important.  I find I cannot really live the life of purpose God has for me without it.  The more I read it, the more I understand God has a purpose.  Do I completely understand it all?  No, not by any means.  Does that mean God is not the author and finisher of my faith? No. Isaiah said: For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:9)I don' t think I will ever fully understand the ways of God while here on this earth.  I do know beyond a shadow of doubt that he has asked that I fully trust him, fully rely on Him and  fully follow Him.  To be able to do that I must know Him.   I can only know Him through relationship.  Relationship built through prayer, reading His word and spending time in His presence.

I am becoming ever aware that His word is powerful and strong. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

I want to be able to wield the Word of God correctly and rightly. I want it change me and help me. I want it to mean something to me. I want it to be found in my life, and the lives of my family.  I want my children to know His word and be able to call upon it in those hard moments and in those grand moments. I want them to find comfort and joy in knowing that every promise in the book is for them. I want them to know that God's word is truth and relevant. I want them to have the experience of finding life in the word of God.

I will post it upon my walls and the gates. I will post it upon my heart. I will post it upon my life for others to read, learn and remember. I will build my faith by hearing the word of God. I will ever remain diligent in reading God's word. I encourage you, if you do not have a daily time of reading and studying God's word, to begin to make time for it. Begin with prayer. Ask God to speak to you through His word. Ask him for understanding and wisdom. Ask him to show you who he is and how much he loves through His word. He will answer. Doubt and unbelief will flee and faith and trust in God will grow. It will keep you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts