Thursday, May 28, 2015

no fear in the flood

There are a lot of stories this week of flooding. Floods wiping away homes, cars, buildings, etc. Many valuables and lives are being lost to the massive flooding. It is tragic to see the photos as water washes through neighbors and towns. I remember in the Spring of 2010, here, we had some flooding. It was devastating to some homes, farmland, and businesses.  I am saddened to see the damage and loss many are suffering.

The enemy of our soul is described as a flood.  He wants to come in and destroy. He wants to cause devastation to our lives.  Why?  He wants to see us fail, fall and turn away from the loving God who offers hope.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

In Isaiah 59:19 So shall they fear The name of the Lord from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him.

God holds a standard and lifts it up against the enemy.  A standard is a model or pattern for guidance or comparison for excellence or correctness. He presents a model or pattern in his word. He has set forth examples of what we can do.  We can call on the name of Jesus. He brings victory.

Luke 6:48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.

We can have a foundation that is solid.  Jesus is the foundation of our faith.  We can call on him and find that he is a friend that sticks closer than a brother Proverbs 18:24,  and an ever present help in the time of need.  Hebrews 4:16.  In Hebrews 13:5 For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”   God wants to be the rock we stand on, the hand we hold and the shoulder we cry on.  He is able to sustain us and bear us up when life crashes in and floods pour over us.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is there in the worst of moments. From my own experiences, when I lost my mother tragically, and nearly lost my dad, God was more present that I can even describe. I felt like I was wrapped in His loving arms and he carried me through those rough days. When my son was born with a birth defect, God was present. He spoke words of compassion and gave us direction. He used many others to minister to us and speak words of wisdom.  I know God is always ready to carry us, lead us and get us through any situation. And as I face more situations that feel uncertain and overwhelming, I know I can call on Jesus for strength, hope and peace. He counts every tear and holds me close.

What the enemy may mean for our destruction, God can turn it around and make it a testimony. When life is hard and we may not understand, God is offering hope and peace to bring us into a place of victory.

Have no fear for we are God's children. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
We have the Creator of the universe on our side. We have the Almighty God. Do not fear the flood. Do not fear the crashing waves. God has you in the palm of His mighty hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts