Sunday, October 4, 2015

all my ways


In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:6

I have known this verse most of my life.  I am very familiar with it.  I have quoted it, memorized it, read it and spoke it. I find it to be easy to say, it is quite another to actually understand and live it.  I am asking myself, “What does it mean to acknowledge Him in ALL my ways?”  Do you know?   I have a lot of ways. I am busy and do a lot of stuff.  As I list it in my mind, I am thinking really wondering if I am acknowledging God in all my ways. I am a mom, wife, speech therapist, coworker, sister, daughter, friend, Sunday school teacher, shopper, cleaner of the bathroom and house. I have a lot of roles and jobs that I do.  I realize I may not always perform these many activities as always acknowledging God. 

So what does it mean to acknowledge God in all my ways?  
God has answers for that as well in His Word. He gave scriptures such as:

Rejoice always; Pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than men, Colossians 3:23

Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers. Psalms1:1

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21


There are many more verses. Many verses that address our daily activities, daily lives and daily thoughts. Our thoughts should mirror God’s thoughts. Our actions should mirror God’s actions. Our ways should acknowledge God. As I go throughout my day, I need to keep my mind focused on the purpose He has for me, not just the task at hand.  How can I bring glory to God as I do this task?  If it is a daily chore, could I be taking this time to pray or praise God?  If I am with someone, should my words be encouragement and uplifting or words of gossip and frustration?  If I am working on my job, does my performance reflect the integrity and faithfulness of God?  Have I portrayed Christ as I go through my daily routines, stores and in encounters with those I meet?  Do they feel God’s presence as I come by or have I gotten so lost in my own frustration and self-promoting thoughts that I have forgotten to keep His purpose as my goal?  I may have missed an opportunity to pray with someone, touch a heart, or change a life by not keeping my focus on the right priority and fussing over a small detail like why the store not longer has that cake mix I wanted. Does complaining about circumstances at work change them or does it diminish my faith in God?  Do my words bring about praise or shame to God?  

Rather than getting bogged down in frustration and complaint, shouldn’t we rather take that moment to speak life even if it is to our own soul?  Wouldn’t that bring glory rather than shame?  
Our words and deeds need to speak life rather than bring about discord and shame.  
We can speak and act in ways that acknowledge the awesome glory of God, His power and His love.  We only need but choose to put aside words of discord, actions of pride, and thoughts of self.  We spend so much time worrying, feeling, and thinking about so much when we really ought to spend that time focused on the One who gave us life; The One who sacrificed for our salvation; The One who is waiting to direct us into His best ways. He has the ultimate plan already laid out.  

We only have to look and listen.  He is trying to show us and teach us what he wants. His Word is so important. It tells us how to live. He will direct our paths. He will give us more understanding, more compassion, more joy, more peace, more love than we ever thought possible if we truly give everything over to Him.  Isn’t it about time we really acknowledge God in all our ways.  

Psalms 119:105  Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts