Tuesday, July 19, 2016

where is your security found

Have you ever seen the TV show about people who hoard? They keep EVERYTHING!  It is hard to imagine someone keeping everything including trash to the degree that some of these people shown do.  It is seen as a mental disorder. One of the biggest things they talk about it a feeling of security. Usually on the show there is a psychologist there to help address the underlying psychological issue. It seems so sad and shocking to see the turmoil and fear it gives the person to let go of even the smallest piece of what we would consider trash. This may all seem to be an extreme, but how many of us hang on to things?  I can tell you I have a couple (maybe a few) things I really don't need. I guess in some ways there is a feeling of security that comes from having "stuff."
Growing up, my mom ALWAYS wanted to make sure she had a full cupboard of food. She stockpiled canned goods. She hated to think of running out of food.  This turned out to be a good thing when my dad, along with an entire steel mill of people were laid off for about 6 months.  There were very few jobs available and we may not have had much, but we had food. Her stockpile dwindled down to near nothing but we did not go hungry.  She never let it get low again.  When she passed, we all laughed as we were cleaning and found about 20 bottles of flavored extracts, most of which were mint flavored.  She had enough cans of beans to feed an army.  I think this stockpile created a sense of security for my mom.  She felt that as long as there was food in the house, she could provide for her family and those that were hungry.

Security is  something we all seek. We want to feel safe and secure. We like to believe we have resources and the ability to provide for our family.  That in itself is a good thing.  There are times when our security is threatened and this creates great insecurity, turmoil and uneasiness. How many times have I worried about paying a bill or affording something that was necessary? How many times have I tried to figure out how to save up money for something only to have another debt arise?  How many times have I heard others discuss financial struggles and woes?  Insecurity also comes from other areas as well.  Insecurities come from relationships or lack thereof. Insecurities come from inner self-image issues. Insecurities come from beliefs about who you are and what might think or say about you. We all seek security in many areas of our lives.

It really hit me this morning, that we try so hard to find security when God can provide it all along. I always know and believe that God provides and I pray for needs and situations, but how often I allow myself to worry.  Worry boils down to feeling insecure.  It actually reveals that I may not fully trust in the fact that God provides.  He is called Jehovah-Jireh.  Jehovah Jireh translates as YHWH will provide. He is my provider. In Genesis chapter 22, we read where Abraham was told by God to sacrifice his promised son, Isaac.  He willingly obeyed, yet the whole time reassured Isaac that God will provide. He kept saying God will provide the sacrifice.  In the end, his faith proved well what God can do. The ram was provided and Isaac was not sacrificed. In Genesis 22:14 it says, "And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided.”"  God tested his faith. God provided for the need.

We also can read of the widow who came to Elisha in 2 Kings chapter 4. She had a great need. She knew Elisha was a man of God. She wanted to God to move for her need. She owed a great debt and feared for her sons being taken and sold to pay the debt. Elisha gave her a plan. Collect many pots and use what she had, a small cruse of oil, and start pouring into the many pots. God miraculously caused the oil to flow until she ran out of pots to fill. She was able to sell the oil, pay the debt and had money left over.  What an amazing miracle of God's provision.  She found security when she turned to God for an answer. Her situation was hopeless and caused great insecurity, but she believed and trusted that God knew what to do.

We cannot find true security without trusting in God.  I found a big reminder of that this week.  I was concerned about our finances this week. We had some things in mind that are going to take money we don't have to do. They are important things, and really need to be done. Of course, there is no extra money for these things and I had no idea how we would have the money or resources needed. I prayed and talked to God for a couple of days about the situation and I heard Him remind me that He is Jehovah-Jireh, my provider. I heard him tell me that He already had to answer of the way.  I figured I better diligently check the mail.  That was not where the answer came from.  The next day, the money was provided in completely different way than I could ever imagine and is what we need to take care of the issues at hand.  My God provides in mighty ways. I look back at the day when God spoke and gave me peace about it.  He did tell me that it was on the way.  He did tell me not to worry.  He did answer in a great an mighty way.  God knows our needs and takes care of His children.

Jesus spoke on this very issue in Matthew chapter 6:25-34
25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

We have a great big God who loves us and is always ready to provide. Why do we worry? Why do try to stockpile and become fearful of the 'what-ifs?'  God does not leave his children and he does not ignore their needs.  David said in Psalms 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.

We have no reason to allow worry into our hearts when we know God. It actually says we have little faith when we worry.  Faith and trust in God should be our attitude and worry should never have a place in our hearts and minds.  God is asking us to step out in faith and trust Him to provide all of our needs. Not just a few here and there, but ALL of our needs. He takes care of His children. I need to really trust that and know that God is already meeting my needs.  He never fails and He never ignores. He never lets me down.  I thank you, God, for your provision. Thank you, God, for your reminder that You are a Good Father who provides for his children. Thank you, God, for all you have provided and will provide. Rather than seeking security in things, we need to find that God is our security. He is the One who holds us, carries us, and provides for us.  Our security should be found in Him and in Him alone.  There is no reason to fear or worry when we know the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. There is no reason to fear, but every reason to feel secure and safe.  He is Jehovah-Jireh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts