Saturday, November 5, 2016

finding strength

I always find encouragement when I read Psalms. There are so many verses that speak to being human, being in need of a Savior, and in need of hope. I find there are verses that speak to my soul, to my heart and lift me up when I need strength, hope, faith, and endurance. I am always amazed that I can turn to Psalms, start reading and find God speaking to me, to my concerns, and to my heart.
Psalm 18 has always been one of my favorite, especially when life seems to want to overtake and overwhelm me. I can find strength and hope in knowing the Lord is my strength. He will uphold me and carry me through.

Psalm 18:1-2

I love you, Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
    my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

David was human just as we all are. He faced real troubles and real emotions. He endured many struggles and consequences of his own faults. He was still the apple of God's eye. God loved him, blessed him and strengthened him. David was able to find strength in the Lord.  In 1 Samuel 30:6, when he felt alone and abandoned by everyone around him, He strengthened himself in the Lord.  Many times, I feel like that is why Psalms exists. We can read these beautiful words to find the strength God has for us to remain faithful and strong. He does not leave us alone. He is always there. We can find Him in His Word, when no one else is there.  

God promises us in His word that he will strengthen us and lift us up. We need to trust Him in His promise.
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

We can find strength in God's word, We can find hope.  All we need is to turn to Him, turn to His word and allow Him to perform His work in us. He will provide the strength we need to endure. 

Then, we can say, just as Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts