Friday, August 3, 2018

Eat His Word

Have you ever found yourself  desiring and enjoying a favorite food? I am working on a delicious chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday it smells so good. It is soft and moist. The chocolate frosting is just creamy and oh so good.  What about those favorite foods we all go for. Those chips and salsas - it's like you just can't stop eating them. We crave foods, we enjoy foods. We delight in foods. We can all name a food we just love to eat. We can describe the flavors and textures so well our mouths start watering. That is why commercials and menus use pictures and descriptions that entice us to to buy and try the foods they advertise. We rejoice in delicious food.  This same delight, craving and enjoyment should be a part of our spiritual desire for the Word of God.

Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.
Jeremiah 15:16 NKJV

Jeremiah was a vivid, passionate, colorful prophet. When I read Jeremiah, I always end up taking a look at my own passion for God and His Word. Jeremiah was dedicated and passionate about speaking the truth, the Words that God directed. He spent much of his time in trouble with other prophets who were speaking their own words and calling them God's word.  He called them out and ended up in a pit. He went to the extreme as directed by God to speak the fiery Word God had for Jerusalem and surrounding nations.  When he spoke of the word of God in chapter 15, he said the word was found and he ate them.  He told God that His word was joy and rejoicing of heart.

How do I react to the Word of God?   Do I seek out the Word of God? Do I describe it as joy and rejoicing of heart ?  Do I partake of His Word like I am eating?

Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.
Psalms 119:11 NKJV

We eat to bring sustenance to our physical bodies. Food is what gives us energy, strength, and keeps us alive.  We also partake of food when we sit down and fellowship and enjoy the company of friends and family. We desire food, we crave after some foods. Our spiritual food, His Word, is what strengthens our spirit, gives our spirit life and energy. His Word can sustain us and keep us going.  We should desire it, seek after it, crave it even more than the physical food.  It will bring us not just life here, but everlasting, eternal life. It is what we truly need.

as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
I Peter 2:2 NKJV

The Word of God  should not be an afterthought,  a drudgery we quickly read through , or even forget about.  It should be our first craving of the day and our last thoughts as we lay down to sleep. His word should permeate us, energize us, and feed us. We should feast on His Word as often as we can.  It should delight us.

We need to desire, enjoy, and find delight in feasting in His Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts