Tuesday, October 16, 2018

ripple effect

Have you ever thrown a rock into a still pond? When that rock hits the water, it creates a circle of ripples that progress across the water.  I think a lot of our actions and words can also create ripples. Our very lives create an effect that can progress across the lives of others.

Following a funeral recently, I was thinking about how I became who I am.  It wasn't just me, isolated and alone who made me who I am. Many others made decisions that affect my life. I go back to my great grandfather. He made a decision to know Jesus, to preach the gospel and raise his family in the Word. His son, my grandfather, laid his sin down on an altar, and began living his life for God. He preached the gospel and did his best to teach his family the same. My dad, then made that choice as well to live for God, preach the gospel and teach his children the same. Here I am, also living for God and trying to be an example to my children and teach of what God has for their lives. While none were perfect, their influence created a ripple that makes me who I am.

My mom made a decision as well, as a teenager, her parents went to church and loved God, but my mom made a decision to allow God to direct her in her life. God brought my parents together. I can say I have been witness to the hand of God as I grew up. God provided in many ways, when my dad was laid off, when we had little, we had hope. I have seen my parents pray, and God answer. To this day, I know God is still answering prayers my parents have prayed.

Being raised in church, I also got to see many others who lived a life for God that spoke volumes about who God is.  One such lady, was Edith Mayes. I will always remember the miracles she would tell about, her daily talk and walk with God and her example. When you asked her how she was her reply was always, "I am blessed!" Even when things appeared bad, she was blessed.

Another great example to me is Rev. John Hattabaugh. He lived many years as a missionary in Argentina, raised his family there and started many churches. He faced many trials and even death for preaching there.  But Argentina went from very little people who knew God to now hundreds of thousands who  serve God because one man and his family served faithfully. His stories amaze me. He still works for the Kingdom to this day. He is a man of God Still reaching for souls.

My husband and I would not be who we are without the influence of many others.  His pastor's wife, Sis. Betty Dillehay, knew we belonged together. She made sure he was at a youth camp where I was. That is where we became inseparable.  There are many people who have spoken into our lives and encouraged us along the way. Pastor Holiman is one of those people. He may not ever realize how much influence he has had on my husband. He has been a mentor and a friend.  I cannot list all the people who have created a ripple that has progressed into my life.  From before I was born to today, my current Pastors and church family, work family and friends, each play a role in my life. Each are important and teach me mamy things.

We do not realize  how we affect the lives of others.
Paul told Timothy to be an example.
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
1 Timothy 4:12 KJV

And James spoke of the prophets.
Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.
James 5:10 KJV

We can look around and see how we are affected by others and how we affect the lives of others. We need to see that we create a ripple that will progress into our children's lives and into the lives of those around us. I want to be a positive influence and a life that demonstrates the love of God.
I want my children to be able to say that their mom and dad created a ripple that brought them hope and faith in Jesus.
I pray that my life is a ripple to others influencing them to have faith and hope in God. By the grace of God,  may I live a life that demonstrates how much He loves us.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts