Friday, September 27, 2019

that ain't right

We are often very aware of what is right and wrong. We teach it to children and tell them to choose the right things. We expect good and right and condemn the wrong very often. In our society, we hear many people talking about how someone did something and they  may say, "That ain't right!"  We are quick to see how someone fails and identify the wrongs and the rights. Our political arena is full of people pointing fingers and calling each other out over perceived wrongs. As the story continues, we often find that same wrong coming back to haunt the accuser as well. 
I am no longer surprised by the next scandal or the next accusation. Politics in America, and the world, has become a rather sad display of accusations, backbiting, and lack of morality. This isn't about being progressive, conservative, or anywhere in between. This is about what we truly need to understand.  We need to realize that we all have a choice to make about right and wrong. We all have a responsibility to live by what is right. The truth about right and wrong starts with the little choices so we can make the big choices later. We must do our best to choose good based on  the truth of God's word . We will be held to that standard in the end . 
My son was telling about a little situation at school and I responded by explaining that doing that particular action would be stealing. He replied, "but everyone does it, and the teachers said to."  My husband simply replied, but it is still wrong and we don't do wrong just because others do it or say to do it. We choose to do what it right because God says to do right.

James 4:17 says "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is a sin." We are given plenty of direction and explanation in the Bible about what is right and what is wrong. We are given a clear understanding of what is sin and what is not. We are then given the opportunity to apply this truth to our lives every single day. We make a choice to do what is good or to sin. Simply put, you choose to sin even when you know what is right. 

There are people out there saying, "You do you." or,  "I choose my truth." There is no truth outside of God. We need to understand that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. (John 14:6). We cannot find real truth outside of obedience to the Word of God. We cannot explain it away, or change it. We cannot ignore it and hope it doesn't really mean what it says. God spoke and it is truth. His Word is truth. He is truth. We can only find good and right in Him. We can only find peace and happiness when we submit to Him and His ways. We can only find true contentment by believing and obeying His word and choosing to follow Him.

Joshua 24:15  And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

I have this on my wall of my living room for my family to see and read. I hope we all have this embedded and buried deep in our hearts so it will nourish our faith and help us to everyday choose to serve the Lord through our actions, our thoughts, and our lives. I do pray that my children and my family chooses to do what is good and not allow our sinful nature to continue to rule our hearts and our lives. 

Deuteronomy 30:19I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

We have a choice we make every day and sometimes every moment. We have a choice to choose life and truth or not . I want to choose life. I want to choose blessing. I choose to do what is good. I pray I can make that choice every moment. When I fail, I will choose to run to the Savior and make it right. I want His approval above all else. I want to show my love for Him by how I live my life and the actions I choose. I want my choice to say that Jesus rules my heart and He is my first choice. I want my life to be a reflection of His truth and His love for me. Let us pray that our choices are for good and what is right according to His Word. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts