Thursday, August 6, 2020

what am I known for?

What are you known for?  I think we all wonder at times about that question and it may even change as time goes by. We may be known for doing a job well or for our attitude. We may be known for an event in our lives or how we treat others. I don't always really know what I am known for, but I know what I want to be known for. I want to be known as a child of God. 

Paul wrote to the church at Philippi about what he hoped to see and hear about them.

Philippians 1:27-28 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but [f]to you of salvation, and that from God.

This is the reputation Paul prayed the Christians at Philippi would have. He wanted them to be known for their standing in unity together and working together in faith. He did not want them to be afraid but to be known as saved as only God can save. What a reputation!  He wanted them to reflect the saving grace of God, be able to stand together in unity and in faith. He wanted them to be known as Christ-like by fulfilling the work that God had called them to do. Paul wanted their reputation to be like his own as well. Paul was known as a preacher of the gospel, bold in faith, and never backing down. 

I also want a reputation of faith and being a reflection of Christ. I want others to see Christ in me by the way I talk, by my actions, and by my love of God and others. I want it said that I spoke Christ to others, showed Christ to others and lived what I believed. I want my faith to be reflected in all I do and how I live. I want the Word of God to be permeated in every action I make and every word I speak. I am far from where I want to be but I pray that God will lead me and direct my path. I pray He will reveal to me my shortcomings and change me to be more like Him. I want His Spirit to reign over my soul and my own desires. I need Him to take charge of my heart and my mind. Is this easy? No. But is it worth it? Yes!  God needs to have complete control of me. I choose to surrender every part of me to His will. 

Proverbs 22:1 A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches,
Loving favor rather than silver and gold.

I want to be known as a child of God and all He stands for. I want to stand for Him in faith and love. I want my reputation to be a reflection of God in my life. I choose to serve the Lord.  I want my reputation to come from Him and what He is doing in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts