Tuesday, August 6, 2019

linger just a little while

We often get very busy in this life. We have so many things to do with jobs, family, and activities. We stay busy and may even feel like we will never get it all done.  Busy, busy, busy. But, do we get so busy doing all the things we do, that important moments are rushed and may even be forgotten?  I purposely schedule time to pray and read my Bible every day. I find this is extremely valuable to my sense of well being and to my spiritual growth and wellness.   However, I have realized that at times, I even rush through the time I have scheduled.  I get distracted and hurry because all the other things waiting for my attention.
 
The other day, as I was praying, I felt like God was asking me to just wait or linger just a while longer in my prayer time; to take time to just be there and to just linger in Him.  It felt so peaceful and I could feel His love just holding on.  It is so hard to move on from those moments.  Too often, we are so hurried we forget to linger just a moment and soak in the good.

Wait on the Lord : be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord .
Psalms 27:14 KJV

There are times that the presence of the Holy Spirit is so sweet and almost tangible. I love to be in those moments.  But, in my rush to my business, I may forget to just wait on Him.

This goes for many moments in life. There are times we may need to just linger a little longer. Maybe linger just a bit in conversation with someone who needs to talk, or maybe linger a bit longer in that sweet hug from your child.  Linger a little longer as you see a sunset or witness something good.  Soak in these moments. These moments strengthen relationships and strengthen faith. These moments build up courage to go on. These moments let others know we care. These moments of lingering may be the times we can really hear God speak to us with clarity.

Jesus told  his disciples to go and wait in Jerusalem for the Comforter after his resurrection. They went and waited in the upper room.

 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Luke 24:49 KJV

We see later in Acts that the Holy Spirit was poured out on them and they began to speak boldly. Through the preaching of Peter on that day, 3,000 souls were added to the church. This outpouring came through waiting.

We need to take time to wait and linger just a little longer to hear from God and to experience what He has for us. We need to wait on His promises. We need to linger in His presence to find strength and encouragement. We need to linger a little longer in His word to learn and understand Him more. We need to take time to linger in the moments that are important and with the people who are important. Some of the other stuff will wait and may not be as pressing as we think.  May we stay and wait just a little longer with the Lord who made us, saved us and loves us more that we even understand. He is more important than all those chores and jobs claiming our time anyway.  Wait on the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts