Saturday, February 29, 2020

glory of creation

Growing up in Southern California meant I had a view of the beautiful mountains to the east and a little set of hills, the Jurupa Hills, just to the west of town. I always knew my directions because I could look at those mountains. They would be snow capped and beautiful in winter, green in Spring, and brown and sometimes hidden by smog in the hot summer.  After I grew up and would be driving those traffic filled freeways, I would have plenty of time to talk to the Lord and look up at those mountains. A verse I often found great comfort in was Psalms 121:1.

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

I knew I could always see those mountain tops and see the glory of God in full view. He had created those mountains just to remind me daily that He is greater than all I could ever face. I could look up at those mountains and see the effects of God's mighty power in creation. I could find encouragement in knowing He placed those mountains, He can certainly take care of my concerns.

Leaving California a few years ago meant the loss of that view.  I didn't realize at the time how I would miss that view.
I have a new view now of fields being farmed. The rolling hills in front and behind my home speak of the hard labor of farming. I have learned that farming takes more faith in a Creator than most other occupations can imagine.

Farmers yearly use everything they know scientifically to help produce a healthy crop. They are out preparing the fields as I type. They spray, they plow, they rotate crops, they have a system for keeping the soil healthy. I do not know all the details, but I do know once the seed is in the ground, all those farmers can do is wait and pray for weather that will benefit  the crops.  Last year, flooding eradicated  some major farm land across the Midwest.  Drought has come at times. But overall, all a farmer can do is trust that the seeds will grow, and pray for a good year.  Being in a somewhat rural community, I hear a lot about prayer. We hear people pray and participate in praying for our neighbors. We have seen God answer prayers and provide in mighty ways.

My view of life has changed a bit since moving but I still know the God who placed those mountains also sends the rains,  causes seeds to grow, and has set in motion the seasons that mark time and growth. I still miss that mountain view but my view now has a lot to offer with changing seasons and beauty in each season. Matthew chapter 6 now makes so much more sense.

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?   Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?   Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?   And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:   And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.   Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?   Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?   (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.   But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.   Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:25‭-‬34 KJV

When I begin to feel distressed or discouraged, when life seems to come along with the hard times, I can go sit on my porch and just look around at the glory of God in action. I find encouragement as the birds find food in the dead of winter or the butter cups begin to peak through the ground. As the crops grow tall and are harvested, I see God's provision for those whom have placed trust in Him. I love to sit and admire the work of God in His creation. I find comfort and peace knowing the One who created all this around me.

I am reminded again, that His power is great, His love is strong, and He will answer every need. When I call on His name, He hears me. I can find help in a time of trouble, comfort and joy when needed, and peace in a storm. God has placed us on an earth that speaks of His mighty deeds. It is the evidence of His love for us and His creation meant to provide for us and give us a home. We can see the deed of creation all around us.

Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.
Isaiah 49:13 KJV

As I see the wonder of creation around me, I am inclined to praise my God, my Savior. He does not forget, nor ignore us. He takes delight in us. What greater encouragement can be found than knowing the God of creation. God is good and He is always good.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Philippians 2:13 KJV





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts