Saturday, March 28, 2020

a merry heart

Being home during this unprecedented time may bring many to feel isolated, and lonely. This is a time that those thoughts of depression and loneliness may try to invade your mind and really work on wearing you down.  Depression and fear in these circumstances may try to overwhelm because there are a lot of things happening to cause worry: a pandemic, closed jobs and businesses, worry over bills, and health, etc. But I know that God is still good and He is ever faithful!

A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 NKJV

I have been really aware these past few days of the thoughts I have and how they can affect my perception, my words and even my daily actions. If I allow my thoughts to continually dwell on the worry, struggle and fear, it shows in my words and actions throughout the day. It can affect how I relate to my family and even affect my sleep. If I keep my mind on the blessings, the good, and the greatness of God, it will also be reflected in my words and actions.
Our thoughts affect us, in our relationships, in our actions, our health  and even how we relate to God.

I can reset my thinking and my mind by finding encouragement directly in the Word of God. The psalmist said it best: But You, O Lord , are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head. Psalms 3:3 NKJV

God will lift us up and help us.  He has given His people a better way to live. We are not meant to be defeated and beaten down by our thoughts, fear and
depression. We are meant for worship and He has good and blessing for us.
We can rest assured that we can find protection even for our minds  when we place ourselves in His care.  We are told in Ephesians chapter 6 to put on the whole armor of God.  Part of that armor is the helmet of salvation. A helmet covers your head containing that brain. We can trust in the salvation we have received from God to protect even our thoughts. We can call out to Jesus and claim that name, Jesus, and His blood over our thought life. He will protect.

We are given guidance and direction on what we should be allowing our thoughts to dwell on. Paul wrote about this very thing in Philippians.

 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8 KJV

We have a lot of true and good things to think about.  We can start just by reading and dwelling on the scripture that is meant to lead us and teach us.  We have so much we can learn in His Word.  We have good blessings every day. We need to count those blessings. During testimony time, one of the kids in my Wednesday night bible study group always says, "God did wake me up this morning!" That is a true statement. God did wake me up and He gave me life today.  We have so much more from God than we ever deserve, but He still blesses us.  We are truly blessed! Start naming those blessings.

The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
Zephaniah 3:17 NKJV

He is with us and rejoices over us.  That thought alone brings me joy.  We need to find joy in the Lord. His joy is our strength.  We can find peace in Him. He is our Provider, Protector, and Savior.  He is also a friend that sticks closer than a brother.  In those times when you find fear, doubt, and depression working into your heart and mind, take a stand and realize that you do not have to give in and allow these thoughts.  Change your mind by renewing it. You do have a choice about what you allow to consume your thought life.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 NKJV

God knows your very thoughts and He can help you even in this area of your life.  We do not have to handle this alone as well. We can call on Him and we can call those we trust in the Body of Christ to pray with us and help us through. Keep going and claim that merry heart and have that joy of the Lord he has in store for you.

Remember these words:
Hear, O Lord , and have mercy on me; Lord , be my helper!” You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever.
Psalms 30:10‭-‬12 NKJV



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts